Saturday, August 31, 2019

ELDER EMANCIPATION

by Ray Jason

      It was a “chilling realization.” As my brain processed those two words, I chuckled quietly. More accurately, it might be described as a “frigid, terrifying realization.” That’s because I was in the Far North – the High Arctic - on-board a fragile, fiberglass sailing boat, trying to make it through the Northwest Passage. It took 86 days from Newfoundland to Nome, but we did persevere and prevail.
       The realization that had disturbed me was the possibility that I might not make it back. One misstep and I would slide into a watery grave. It was so cold that the Sea surrounding our boat was frequently turning from liquid into slush on its way to becoming solid ice.
       The question that I had asked was “What would happen to my essays if I did not make it back?” The stark clarity and elemental reality of the high latitudes, imposes a need for no-nonsense truth. And so, as I stood my midnight watch while the rest of the crew slept below, I answered honestly. “They would probably be dust in the wind.”
  
      
      However, as an adventurer with a poet’s soul, I was dissatisfied with that response. Particularly, because it is a cliche, and I had vowed to my long ago creative writing teacher, Matthew McSorley, that I would do my best to never let them slither into my work. So I came up with a more appropriate image.
       Perhaps my efforts were similar to the sea that surrounded me. The water would transform from liquid into solid, and then in the springtime, it would return to its fluid dimension. Likewise, my essays would emerge from the ether of latent creativity and take solid form. But chances are that they will vanish along with me. So my work is probably a fool’s voyage from nothing to something and back to nothing.
       Surely, this was a dramatic and discouraging jolt of reality. To quell the uneasiness, I decided to re-visit the motivation for creating my blog in the first place. Because I began these essays so late in my Middle Years, I was not undertaking this for the sake of gold or glory.
       From the outset, my purpose was to launch tiny word rafts out onto the troubled waters of our seemingly lunatic modern world. My hope was that these would provide some illumination and consolation to strangers who I would never meet.
       Among my closest friends, I would refer to these creations as my “leave behinds.” That was because, although I did not expect gratification in this lifetime, I hoped that they might outlive me and be of worth to readers in the future.
       There is a profound emancipation that comes from acknowledging that one has no control over the days beyond or the unfolding of events. And, personally, it could neither delight nor disappoint me, since I would be thoroughly dead at that stage. So, I resolved to continue my five year dedication to what I have termed RATAWI. This is my acronym for Reading And Thinking And Writing Inspirationally.
       It is tempting to dramatize this “realization” by claiming that it arrived beneath the pulsating kaleidoscope of the Northern Lights, but in the High Arctic summer there is no darkness in which to see that sky show. (Later in the September stage of the voyage we would see them.)

                                              *******

       But now, two years after that trans-formative voyage, I find myself mired in a less-than-admirable malaise. It is almost as if I am struggling with writer’s influenza. Disappointments that should not bother my “noble” self are troubling my “all-too-human” self.
       That English literature professor, who had so powerfully influenced me back in college, had wisely counseled me to only write for two people – yourself and an unknown reader fifty years from now. Most of the time I am capable of doing this, but at times the need for positive reinforcement gnaws away at my fortitude.
       Then I get bothered by the fact that so few readers send encouraging emails. And I wonder why the essays don’t get shared by other sites more frequently. Or why haven’t more podcasts invited me on for an interview?
       And recently an even more troublesome nemesis has nibbled away at my artistic courage. I find myself questioning my core ability. What if I am not nearly as skilled as I think I am? What if I am only a B-minus?
       This question has been troubling me for a while. Initially, I kept it to myself because it is a difficult confession to share with others. But, yesterday I realized that there are young people out there who battle similar issues of artistic confidence. Some of them are probably dedicated readers of mine, who believe that I never struggle with self-doubts.
        
      And so I have decided to reveal to them the approach that I will use to deal with this difficulty. What is the answer that I can pass along to them? It is this:
 
      I will strive to be the best and truest B-minus that I possibly can!




Printfriendly