Tuesday, April 23, 2019

ONCE UPON A TIME AT NOTRE DAME

by Ray Jason

How I will always think of her.
      Long ago and far to the North, a stranger gave me a little gift. It was a modest offering, but it proved quite meaningful at a crossroads moment in my life. Having recently returned from Vietnam, and seeking a way to make a living that would not contribute to the U.S. War Machine, I was doing a little juggling act on the streets of San Francisco.
      This was in 1971 when the American revival in street performing was just beginning. Scattered about the sidewalks, one could find mimes and singers and magicians. But there were no jugglers. I had learned basic juggling at a summer camp in my early teens, and decided to put together a little show to sustain me while I “got my head back together.” My assumption was that this would require a few months, and then I would settle into some sort of real job.
  
      Fortunately, I never did settle into a real job, just as I never settled into the Real World.  And the little gift that I mentioned above, helped steer me towards a contrary to ordinary life.  It was bequeathed me at the first northern California Renaissance Faire, a dozen miles from San Francisco.
      This was a miraculously magical event for both those who worked there and those who attended it. An Elizabethan village was created in a small oak forest and then filled with craftsmen and wandering entertainers and food vendors – and a goodly quantity of ale and mulled wine. Excellent actors portrayed leading roles like Queen Elizabeth and the Lord Mayor, and everyone wore appropriate and beguiling costumes.
With my sweetheart Michelle at my gypsy wagon stage
        
      It was a magnificent pageant that eventually spawned other Ren Faires all over the U.S. and in other parts of the world. Decades later, those of us who were there at the beginning, still feel blessed to have been part of such a wonderful spectacle that was a cornucopia of positives with almost no negatives.
       Just after finishing one of my shows, someone stepped up to drop something into my hat, but it was not money, it was far more special. The donor was part of the cast at the faire. She is a woman named Shirley and she played a wandering jester who told stories. Because she was touched by my performances, she had brought a book from her personal library to pass along to me as a gift. 
      It was called Le Jongleur du Notre Dame, which translates to The Juggler of Our Lady. It was a retelling of a folk tale that has been preserved down through the centuries and adapted into many book treatments as well as operas and movies. Many versions use the magnificent cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris as the setting for this story.
       The core narrative is that a simple juggler becomes disheartened by the world and decides to escape the madness by joining a monastery. Coming from such a different background, he doesn’t fit in with the rest of the monks. This tension is heightened when everyone is supposed to lay a gift at the feet of the statue of the Virgin Mary on Christmas Eve.
       Because he has no present to bequeath the statue, he slinks away feeling disheartened and alone. But later, after the other monks have left the cathedral, he sneaks back in with his bag of juggling tricks and does a heartfelt performance for the statue. According to the legend, the Blessed Mother is delighted by his gesture and the statue comes to life and bends down and wipes the sweat from his forehead with part of her robe.
 
Superb painting by Glyn Warren Philpot 1928
      Receiving this gift from a stranger at the Renaissance Faire had a powerful effect on me. I had viewed my street performing as an interlude to tide me over until I figured out “what I wanted to do with my Life.” But we early buskers were apparently having a far more positive impact on our community than I anticipated. Suddenly, it became clear that my sidewalk show could be more than a gig or a job, it could be a vocation – something worth dedicating myself to.
       And for over 20 years that is what I did. My rewards during those decades were immense. And they had almost nothing to do with money. Many of us in that first generation of San Francisco street performers became minor folk heroes in our community. And I’ll take the respect of my neighbors over stardom every time.

                                                   *******

       After eight years of having honed my craft fairly well, I decided to undertake a new challenge. Could I juggle my way around the world? I left San Francisco with just a backpack and a small bag full of tricks. About a year later I returned to San Francisco with more money than I began with. And more importantly, I came back with an assortment of adventures and memories that were priceless.
       Never forgetting how vital the gift of that little book had been to my life path, I wanted to perform at the grand cathedral of Notre Dame in Paris. And on the 29th of August 1979 that dream was fulfilled. It was not one of my best shows, but it was particularly heartfelt and meaningful to me. To the amazement of the audience, I did not pass my hat.
       That’s because it was my payback gift that originated with the little book that Shirley had passed along to me nearly a decade earlier. For 20 minutes I played the role of the struggling juggler, dwarfed by the mighty cathedral and confused by this inscrutable world. The circle was closed.

                                                  *******

       And now, forty years later, the circle is broken. Regardless of how puny my connection to this magnificent church might be, it still wounded me in a very deep place to see its roof and spire destroyed by flame.
       Longtime readers of my blog realize that my views on religion are paradoxical. On the one hand, I emphasize the importance of seeking sacred moments and paths in this tragic world that often seems like a spiritual wasteland. And on the other hand, I vigorously criticize the harm that institutionalized religions have wrought upon the common man down the centuries.
       But Notre Dame is a symbol for much more than the Catholic faith. It is a monument to Transcendence – to the unquenchable thirst that we humans have for something above the mundane and the ordinary. The fact that it took more than a century to complete the construction, and that the original builders knew that even their grandchildren would not finish it, is a psalm to the human need to strive for divine aspirations.
       Besides its religious symbolism, Notre Dame is emblematic of another towering human achievement – Civilization – and in particular Western and European Civilization. It is full of great paintings and sculptures and stained glass masterpieces. Its majestic organ has played some of the most enduring liturgical music. It has witnessed the coronation of Napoleon and because it is so revered by Christendom, it was spared during both of the World Wars.

                                                    *******

       But there is a massive group that does not revere what Notre Dame represents. And their antagonism is so pathological, that I would not dare to perform my juggling act on the cathedral plaza today. That is because I would fear that a suicide bomber might use the annihilation of the innocent people in my audience as some form of demented praise towards his god.
       How swiftly the world can change and how blind we can be to the unfolding patterns even though they appear so obvious to some. Forty years ago, when gathering my crowd beneath the mighty bell towers, I did not even know what a jihadi was. And now I must be constantly alert for their despicable behavior.
       Grim as this new reality is, what makes it even more unsettling and baffling to me, is that this menace is not forcing its way into France and Europe, it is being welcomed. But that is not quite accurate. It is being encouraged by our so-called leaders, who I prefer to describe as our Malignant Overlords. Predictably, our rulers, who enact these policies, never have to suffer the consequences of their decisions.
       They don’t lose their jobs to cheaper migrant labor, they don’t have their taxes raised to pay for open-door social services for the “new arrivals,” they never have to visit a “no-go zone,” they don’t have to run the Champs Elysees tent city gauntlet, and their daughters are never the ones getting raped.
       But they are the ones who will keep the press from reporting these rapes. And they are the ones who will criminalize even the discussion of these crimes - claiming that it is hate speech. And they are the ones who will bask in the glow of virtue signaling as they welcome these wartime refugees with open arms. Somehow they don’t seem to notice how many of the supposed women and children fleeing destruction, are actually able-bodied men.
       My theory on why these power addicts have imposed this enormous immigration on their nations varies from day to day. On the really bad, black pill days, it appears that they just hate their cultures and are fulfilling the Kalergi Plan (google it up.)
       On more benign days, I suspect that they are just suffering from Pathological Altruism. Despite the thousands of years of evidence that disproves it, they somehow still believe in Universal Brotherhood. That phrase always rouses a chuckle in me because I once had a friend who would always respond to that utopian concept by sneering, “Do you mean Universal Bullshithood?”

                                                      *******

       I still practice my juggling almost every day. My skill is remarkably solid, considering the fact that I am now deep into my Middle Years. The reason I do this is because some of my most-cherished memories are from that around-the-world adventure. Juggling is a universal language that transcends all borders. The smiles and amazement on the faces of strangers in dozens of countries still warm me on those cold nights of the soul.
       Hopefully, I will live long enough to see a world that is healed – a world where children of all ages can safely enjoy a humble juggler. Hopefully, we humans can again flourish on a planet where nobody thinks of anyone else as … an infidel. 

One of the many times the police "moved me along."  This time in Hong Kong.


      Here is a little gift video for you my unknown readers.  It deals with two themes from this essay - street performing and European culture.  Enjoy.

 

Printfriendly