Thursday, June 18, 2020

SEEKING EQUILIBRIUM IN AN UNBALANCED WORLD

by Ray Jason

       When the frenzy and lunacy of Life pounds me too harshly, I sail off to a special place. If my little ship’s autopilot had words rather than numbers, I would be setting my course toward “simplicity” and “serenity.”
       That destination is a little cove where time may not stand still, but it definitely meanders. Everything here is natural, authentic and elemental. The three houses spaced along the shoreline were hand built by their owners. No contractors were used – instead there were brothers and uncles and friends.
       I needed to remind myself that there was a place untroubled by disease and riots. I sought equilibrium in an unbalanced world. My quest was to find peace amidst the chaos.
       And I found it. Here, in this timeless lagoon where the Jungle meets the Sea, the beautiful children still paddle by in their tiny, father-made cayucos. The women still sing hymns on the Sunday porches. The men still use simple hand tools, whose sounds echo across the water and speak the language of masculinity.

                                      *******

       This is how I passed my days. Nature was my wake-up call. One morning it might be howler monkeys. Another could be the flying chirps of wild parrots. And some days the somersault of sting rays awoke me.
       From a bucket in the cockpit, I’d splash some fresh water on my face that was collected from the night rain. I’d whack open a green coconut with my machete and slip a straw into it. Then I’d go on deck to savor this Tarzan Tea while the morning revealed itself slowly and gently - as befits the languor of the tropics.
       The bulk of my day was deliberately “anti-cerebral.” The last few months had been spent researching and writing about the Wuhan Virus and the hysterical over-reaction to it by supposed “experts” and “authorities”. I needed a respite from politics. I needed to retreat from my observations that the worst of humanity has such a stranglehold on the best of humanity.

                                                        *******

       Sweaty, muscular labor was my therapy. My little ship is now 44 years old, but I try to keep her looking and performing like a teenager. The hot, draining labor would be softened by dives from the deck into the cooling water. After a solar shower rinse to remove the salt, I’d loiter under the awning until I was refreshed enough to return to my projects.
       My eating was light and appropriate for this almost Paleolithic setting – clean protein and healthy fats. I was avoiding processed food as much as I was avoiding propagandized brain food. Sleep was deep and rejuvenating.
       The evenings were glorious. The steep jungle reaches all the way down to the sea, and it produces a lush sonata of sounds. First, the chattering parrots shift to their sleeping trees. Then the cicadas commence their faintly metallic buzz. Next comes the noise of some unknown creature. Is it a bird or a frog or a quadruped?
       Soon, silence settles onto the lagoon and the stars arrive. At this latitude, all of the northern hemisphere constellations are visible as well as a few from the south. The disparity between the majesty of Orion and the tiny Southern Cross startles and intrigues me. It is as though the celestial systems are mimicking the hemispheres of our planet. The north is so terrestrial and the south is so watery.
       Lying on my back on deck, so solitary and yet so joyous, my thoughts rippled like the wavelets tickling my little ship’s hull. I realized that very big, ancient brains watched from the clear-skied deserts centuries ago and tracked and named those star paths. Which led me to thoughts of the star-crossed path that is the Human Story.
        
                                   *******

      I wondered whether there were dissenters when mankind made that all-important decision to change from tribal, hunter-gathering to highly organized agriculture. Did these skeptics warn of the possible consequences?
       Could they foresee the hierarchy, the rulers, the priests, division of labor, the food supply under lock and key, the armies, wars and slavery, the disease that comes with large populations crammed together? When they communicated these dangers to their tribe, were they ridiculed or ostracized or killed?
       And if such wise questioners lived a few decades into the Agricultural Revolution, and saw their warnings become reality, did they wonder whether there could ever be an escape from the cycle of conquest and domination?
       Did these seers perceive that in hierarchical societies there are always individuals addicted to power and unconstrained by empathy. Such tyrants are oblivious to justice and morality; and so they will enslave and destroy anyone in their path. Could they foresee that Might would always defeat Right?
       And how would these Wise Ones respond? My guess is that they would see the impossibility of profound improvement, and would thus choose another course. They would return to one of the few hunter-gatherer tribes still in their vicinity. And they would not live as a part of the larger society - but only ADJACENT to it.
                                   *******

       I laughed slightly when this thought occurred to me. That’s because I was looking up at the same stars that had shone above that ancient tribal elder. I chuckled, when I recognized that 10,000 years later, I had reached the same conclusion.
       It – the big “IT” – cannot be toppled. Indeed, it can barely be tolerated. But the further one removes oneself from the modern world, the richer and more meaningful one’s life can become.

Printfriendly