Wednesday, February 26, 2020

THE SEA GYPSY OPTION - 2020 - PART 1 - DISAPPOINTMENT AND REJUVENATION

by Ray Jason

TODAY'S SUNRISE
      One of of the exquisite joys of the sea gypsy life is the fact that it blends together two opposing worldviews. Even though most ocean vagabonds are incurable Romantics, they are also cautious Realists.  
      Surely, sailing to the South Seas requires the care-free bravado of the dreamer, but it also demands careful expertise. Out there on the Wide Waters, far from any help, one must have many skills including seamanship, navigation and boat repair.
       I contend that this advanced level of preparedness is also extremely valuable in responding to land-based issues. For example, if the current corona-virus does become a world-wide threat, I could literally complete this sentence, go on deck, lift my anchor and within 15 minutes be in the open Caribbean Sea far from any risk of exposure.

    
       My water tanks are always full. There is at least six months of freeze-dried, non-perishable and canned foods to supplement what I catch from fishing. My diesel capacity gives me about 1,000 miles range, and the sails make it nearly limitless. Books, movies on DVD and a Kindle filled with classic authors, provide quality entertainment. Solar panels and a wind generator supply tiny-footprint electricity for my fridge, radios and other power needs. I am also locked and loaded – whatever that means :-).

      THE SEA GYPSY TRIBE
      
      About a decade ago, I realized that a well-prepared, ocean-ready sailboat is the perfect escape platform for any catastrophic possibility. This inspired me to begin promoting what I called the Sea Gypsy Tribe concept. I wrote carefully-argued essays discussing WHY it is such an excellent strategy. Then I expanded on this with several articles that described HOW one could advance from a novice to a highly-skilled member of such a deep-water tribe. (I will link to them at the end of this piece.)
       These essays were generating tens of thousands of visits to my blog, and so I was hoping that many sailors would begin putting together Sea Gypsy Tribes in their own watery part of the world. But that did not occur.
This was a soul-wrenching disappointment, but I suspect that my sea-going prepper idea did not catch on because conditions were not quite severe enough.       
      Tragically, many disasters can strike swiftly. Having personally experienced the big San Francisco earthquake of 1989 and the horrific hurricane season of 2005 in Key West, I know how quickly and chaotically emergency supplies vanish from the store shelves. Sadly, the old preppers’ adage rings true: “It is better to be two years early, than two days late!”
       With the arrival of the new decade, the realist part of my sailor’s nature told me to suck it up and realize that my Sea Gypsy Tribe concept either was not worthwhile enough or was perhaps ahead of its time. The logical conclusion seemed to be a casual, “Screw it, I did the best I could.”
       However, the romantic voice within me cautioned me to acknowledge in my heart of hearts how magical and sane this ocean vagabond lifestyle is in an increasingly lunatic world.
       So, even though I have not proven persuasive enough with my tribal strategy, I still would like to evangelize for the merits of this wonderful sea gypsy life. Who knows, if there is a slower-paced
apocalypse, these newly-minted sailors might have enough time to upgrade their situation with emergency preparations and a like-minded tribe of sailor folk.
       My next few essays will be dedicated to describing as persuasively as possible some of the reasons that this unusual living approach sings to me so powerfully. Perhaps you too will then hear the mermaids’ song and come and join us.

      ESCAPE FROM THE SJW LUNACY
 
      I have lived full-time in the cruising fleet since 1992. During those decades I have never had even one sailor try to convince me that there are dozens of genders and that men can have menstrual periods. Likewise, none of the other lunacies of the social justice warriors are imposed upon our community.
      The parents of our young sailors home school their kids. They do not take them to a Drag Queen Story Hour. Likewise, they do not have to explain gender neutral public bathrooms to them. And these kids are not sequestered only with other youngsters of their own age, as is the case in the highly-structured activity culture of the misnamed Real World.

      MINIMAL POLITICS
 
      The politicization of everyday life has not devoured the sea gypsy sphere. We talk about such things as great spots to visit along the way and which anchor sets best in soft sand. But we definitely are not jabbering about presidential debates and Supreme Court appointments. 
      The fixation that most landlubbers have with politics amuses the sailing folk – especially since we recognize how little actual influence regular people have on the conduct of the powers that shouldn’t be.

      REJECTING SAFE SPACES
 
      There are many reasons to go to sea, but the quest for a Safe Space is not one of them. Mother Ocean may be magnificent, but she is also moody. One night of blasting through dark, invisible wave canyons, with the wind shrieking mercilessly, will convince you forever that safety is elusive on the deep waters.
BUT, that just makes it all the more desirable. Sailors love relishing a successful passage through stormy seas. Perhaps our genetic wiring is all wrong, but we embrace the occasional challenge of dangerous conditions. Of course, we prefer mixing that in with sand dollar hunts on secluded beaches.

       CONCLUSION
 
      Even though my Sea Gypsy Tribe idea has thus far not developed as I had hoped, I am still so delighted by this ocean wanderer style of living, that it seems to me that it is wise to enthusiastically spread its joy. 
      
      Sail on … smile on ...
 
      My next Sea Gypsy Option essay will post in about a week. At the conclusion of that one, I will include the links to my prior Sea Gypsy Tribe essays. Because I have been out in the islands away from wifi, everything is running a bit behind.

Printfriendly