Saturday, June 29, 2019

A HAIKU RETREAT

by Ray Jason


Haiku master BASHO
       Elemental ecstasy – yes, that’s the feeling. A bliss so simple yet powerful that it finds and fills even the deepest pockets of emptiness within me. Here, in this quiet lagoon that is so authentic, I am safely cocooned from a world that is so artificial.
       With my back leaning against my sloop’s mast, I survey a panorama that would delight a hunter/gatherer rowing by in his dug-out canoe hundreds of years ago. Off my port-side, a predator bird perches alertly on a high branch, and up past my starboard bow a dormant volcano peeks through the morning mist.
       I sailed here seeking escape and solace. Too much study of the woes of this world, and too much failure at lessening them with the medicine of words, had drained me. I needed the replenishment that can only be found in solitude and silence.

      My original intent was to wrestle with a topic that had first confronted me two summers ago on my voyage through the alluring but dangerous Northwest Passage. It was there that I recognized the probability that my attempts at philosophical understanding and clarity would merely end up as syllables scattered to the winds. A mortifying thought, if ever there was one.
       But the tranquility and seclusion of this ancient bay, inspires me to reflect on a different subject. It prompts me to focus on the natural rather than the personal. It urges me to exalt in the simplicity and immediacy of this place and time … here and now. And the best way that I know of doing this, is to let the troubles of the world deflect away from me, while I settle into “haiku mind.”

                                                    *******

       My first exposure to this ancient Japanese form of poetry came at a most unusual but serendipitous time. I had been drafted and was serving on a U.S. Navy ammunition ship in Vietnam.
       In San Francisco, just before shipping out, I chanced upon some tiny books of haiku written by an American named J.W. Hackett. I later would study the translations of the classic poems of the Japanese masters, such as Basho and Issa. But these tiny, English-language gems were my introduction. His masterful little poems provided me great consolation during a difficult chapter of my life. And I still have these precious books as part of my ship’s library.
       And so, in this serene lagoon, I have forsaken inner contemplation and immersed myself in this exquisite outer environment that is untarnished Nature, through the enchantment of haiku.
       Besides Mr. Hackett’s superb composition, he also included some valuable suggestions to help guide anyone else who aspires to creating haiku. I’ll give you my interpretations of some of his pointers; and then share some of the poetic blessings that this stillness and serenity has bequeathed me.
       I call mine Sea Gypsy Haiku because they are not composed on a mountain trail or beside an alpine lake. All of my attempts were created aboard AVENTURA either at sea or resting at anchor.
                                     
        
                                  *******

       NOW is the time of haiku. You do not write about an observation or experience from last week. Merge with what surrounds you in this place at this time.
       The classic format is three lines of five, seven and five syllables. However, this is a guideline and not an ironclad rule.
       Greater Nature and not human nature is the place of haiku. Inter-personal musings are secondary to what appears in front of you. Emotions are acceptable but as a result of a natural epiphany.
       Modifying words should be avoided, but when used they should indicate season or location or time of day. Adjectives do not enhance, they detract from the purity of expression.
       Haiku should be intuitive and direct. They should not be abstract, symbolic, didactic or intellectual.

                                                     *******

Watching a stingray
leaping and somersaulting -
my heart does the same.

Two brown pelicans
fishing this sunset shoreline -
sun beams on wet beaks.

These mangrove night sounds
both enchant and confuse me -
are they birds or frogs?

An amazing thought -
this warm lagoon connects to
Japan’s cold waters.

Bright stars overhead,
beneath them my mast and sails,
below us the Sea.

Finally, a night
without lightning – rest well my
valiant sailing boat!

Secluded sea home
sits on posts in the lagoon -
like the nearby birds.

Each night wild parrots
fly right over my sailboat -
does this bring good luck?
                                      
                                *******

       And finally, on the eighth night a haiku spoke to me which probably expresses the reason that I dropped my anchor and settled in.

Silent solitude -
then haiku inspiration
that calms and cleanses.

Printfriendly