Sunday, February 24, 2019

DISILLUSIONMENT OVERLOAD

by Ray Jason

Before I found my way to the Wide Waters, I spent a lot of time on the Asphalt Seas. I hitch-hiked tens of thousands of miles around the U.S. during my college years. The catalyst for this was my desire to feast on the visual cornucopia of the continent. And I also hoped to discover the special American spirit of nobility and brotherhood that Walt Whitman and Woody Guthrie celebrated through poetry and song.
       I wore a rugged, brown, naval aviator’s jacket from a surplus store and carried a small, tough suitcase that I adorned with decals from my travels. This was well before the back-pack era and the relative ease of thumbing rides with hippies in VW vans.
       One other item that also traveled with me was an envelope filled with my favorite quotations. When waiting for a ride in some inhospitable spot, I would pass the time finding comfort in the wit and wisdom of these insights and observations.
        
      The authors were very wide-ranging. A Plato quote such as “An unconsidered Life is not worth living” might be followed by Steve McQueen stating “I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city in the world.” Whitman’s great counsel to “Question much and obey little” was a nice companion for Gandhi’s insistence that “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.”
       A few days ago, I came across that battered, but still intact stash of quotations that had brought me laughter and solace so many years ago, when I was still budding in the Springtime of my Life. After an hour of reading through them, it was natural to find myself swept astern in that ebb tide of memories. Damn, I thought to myself, I was so idealistic and romantic and above all, naive.
       This was emphasized even more when I turned over the card with a famous observation from George Bernard Shaw: “Isn’t it a pity that youth has to be wasted on the young!” This one hit me like a jab, because I remembered that as the editor of my college newspaper, I had written an opinion piece smugly chastising GBS for misunderstanding the brilliance of youth.
       Ha, I now laughed to myself, with the insight of nearly a half a century behind me, realizing how gallantly but foolishly I had demonstrated my ignorance of just about everything. But I also reflected that there have probably been a thousand other student editors through the years who have taken up the pen to joust with Mr. Shaw just as idiotically.

                                                    *******

       That same evening I settled into my favorite spot on deck with my back leaning against the mast. A green coconut and my machete had provided me with my evening Tarzan Tea, and I had added another ingredient, the Flower of the Cane. That is the English translation of Flor de Cana, which is my favorite affordable dark rum. Now I had all I needed to sail back down the decades and anchor in that Harbor of Memories. I had my ship, my elixir and my solitude.
       My quest was not to rediscover particular events, but to reconnect with the “feel” or “flavor” of those long ago days. Before the coconut was empty, that emotional landscape had re-emerged. I realized that I had been so optimistic and expectant and hopeful. It seemed to me that the arc of human history was ever improving, and I had deceived myself into thinking that I could play a role in that advance. There appeared to be such a brightness and freshness to the future, and it enticed and beckoned. Good people were out there ready to perform noble deeds - and they needed allies!
       Ha! When did that illusion first start to evaporate? Was it my stint in Vietnam on the ammunition ship? No, it was before that. As the president of our student body in college, I was tasked to bring speakers onto the campus. I brought on antiwar activists and the school punished me for it in a variety of ways.
                                     
                                   *******

       Those two events were the catalysts that inspired me to really pay attention to how the world works as opposed to how we are told it works. This heightened sense of awareness also coincided with the decade of assassinations. Everyone who I admired was gunned down – supposedly by lone nuts – but I believed that it was some hidden Dark Force slithering behind the scenes. And now, all of these years later, after continuing to “pay attention,” it seems like every major societal institution is corrupt to its very sinews.  

      Higher Education – the backdrop for those hitch-hiking years - has degenerated from a temple of free inquiry and critical thinking into a padded safe space where non-conforming ideas must be silenced rather than debated. And in many colleges, men like me are demonized as “toxic” simply because our biology has made us white, straight males.
       Judges are not beacons of objectivity and balance. They are not much better than political party hacks, who can be counted on to render verdicts in favor of “their side” rather than the side of Truth and Justice.
       The Health Care System should be re-named the Sick-Care system. The incentives and profits from “managing symptoms” rather than curing root causes, are enormous. And Big Pharma will nuke any alternative treatment protocols that might keep you from taking their pills.
       Many Priests, who are self-anointed emissaries of a Higher Power, actually conduct themselves in the lowest possible manner. In doing so, they crucify innocence and scar innumerable youngsters for the rest of their lives.
       And the world is awash in Politicians, who pontificate about their reverence for the Common Man, when in fact they actually worship at the altars of Wall Street and Silicon Valley.
       But one can’t look to the Mainstream Media for guidance and clarity with these cultural problems. That institution suffers from pathological amnesia when it comes to discovering the Truth. Almost all reporting is “narrative driven” rather than evidence based. Which stories are emphasized or ignored is determined strictly according to their agenda.
                                    
                                     *******

       I could rant on and on about the steady degradation of the bedrock institutions of society, but that would just intensify my Disillusionment Overload. Instead, I’ll shift my focus to an approach for dealing with it.
       With all of my years of tracking this decline in the human condition, I have monitored the various approaches that are suggested for improving things. My conclusion is that they are delusional and largely do not work.
       Voting the bums out, just votes new bums in. Petitions and demonstrations are just a minor nuisance for the wielders of real power - like flies on an elephant. And with revolutions, the oppressed almost always become as oppressive as those that they overthrew.
       The answer is to turn your back on it all as much as you can. Those of you who have been following my work, know that I have been advocating for the sea gypsy lifestyle for many years now. I am delighted to report that here in the Archipelago of Bliss there is a wonderful new development.
       Lots of young cruisers are showing up. These are sailors in their 20s and 30s, who have turned their backs on the almost insufferable Real World.
They realize that homeschooling their kids avoids the public school indoctrination matrix. They also recognize that sea vagabonding teaches their youngsters genuine life skills in a world where people can barely order a pizza without an app.
       They also understand that sea gypsy life reconnects them to genuine Nature as opposed to Save the Cucumber Nature. Plus, they generate their energy through the wind and the sun.
       As Ocean Citizens they owe no allegiance to any government. Their only interface at all with those nemeses are when clearing in and out of a new country. They are not the human property of any particular nation.
       But above all, when you meet these young sailors they are HAPPY. Lots of smiles and laughter and talk of “where to next.” They are the perfect antidote for Disillusionment Overload.

                                                   *******

       As I sat on AVENTURA’S deck, sifting through my old, tattered “Road Quotes” and letting my thoughts sail where my mind’s wind sent them, I recalled a quotation that I was recently gifted by a friend. Had I encountered it half a lifetime ago, it would have been added to my collection.
       Two figures sat side by side, staring at the Sea. One said to the other, “You know that one day we will die.” And the other friend replied, “But all of the other days WE WILL LIVE!”

 

Printfriendly